Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Flipping the Classroom

As a nerdy, tech-head who spends a significant amount of his sparse free time reading education blogs and journals, I consider myself pretty well connected to the pulse of education and up to date on the latest trends. So the idea of flipping the classroom is certainly not new to me and I have been on the fence about it for quite some time. I have met several other teachers during my travels over the past few months that have told me how transformative it is and how it is going to change education. While I am generally regarded as being fairly creative and innovative in the classroom (mostly very undeservedly so), I am also a historian. So I know that transformative ideas in education are; (1) common, and (2) not transformative 99.99% of the time. 
This all looks pretty good.
The basic premise of the flipped model is that lectures and direct instruction are recorded for students to watch at home and activities generally regarded as homework are done in class where the teacher can assist and become a facilitator. The appeal of the flipped classroom model is that it allows for differentiation of instruction and removes the teacher from the “sage on a stage” role. In theory the activities done in class then will all be student centered and constructivist. That sounds great. So great in fact, I’m pretty sure that student centered instruction was thought of a long time ago and is considered to be good teaching practice. For the most part, the technology for capturing and disseminating videos is the only new (albeit important) piece.

Given that context, I have been working with Learning Sciences International for the past year as a human guinea pig that is being filmed while teaching to produce coaching videos in which other teachers can observe and make fun of me. Part of that process is working with their instructional coaches to refine my teaching and track improvements over time. This week it was suggested that I experiment with the flipped model of instruction. While I have been moving towards an all PBL and technology enhanced, student centered model already, I have now been motivated to implement the “flipped” aspects of it. I am all for anything that can improve the experience for students and am always open to trying new things.

Over time I will use my blog to report on the implementation of the flipped classroom (and perhaps even to tell you how transformative it is).


Great place to get started on the flipped model for anyone who wants to follow: Edutopia: Five Minute Film Festival on the Flipped Classroom

No comments:

Post a Comment